The village of Kalivia, bathed in the bright sunlight is spread out on the edge of a verdant valley, where from ancient times to the present, people and nature coexist creatively! The green country with the “golden trees” as they call the orange trees, having beside it as a competitor and as an ally the river Achelous, with it’s eternal and catalytic energy, never ceased to give generously and fruitful life to the inhabitants of Kalivia, to prosper and to enjoy the gifts of nature!
The blessed land with “the golden apples of the Hesperides” stretches beside several beautiful lake ecosystems such as Lysimachae, Ozero, and man-made lake Stratos. This land has around it to protect it, verdant mountains and hills that each one reflects many centuries of history, it is close to historical places of the Aetolians, and it has always been a crossroads for ancient invaders, travelers and voyagers!
The village and it’s residents have not lost hope … Work and struggle daily to keep at the place they live the dream of spring.
The New Village
The new village of Kalivia was created by the residents of the old village of Kalivia. It’s inhabitants were forced to evacuate because
- 1) of repeated floodings of the river Achelous in the years 1851-1853 and
- 2) from complete destruction that happened in the old settlement of the village, from the troops Omer Vryonis in 1824.
In the mid 19th century and gradually from 1851 until the late 19th century, the inhabitants moved approximately one (1) mile north-northeast of the site of the old village to avoid any future destructive river floods as the new mounting location of the village is 04.03 meters in elevation higher than the site of the old village.
The present village, is the municipal district of Kalivia in the municipality of Agrinio, Aetoloacarnania. It is located at an altitude of 30 meters on the west side of the valley of Agrinio, near the banks of the Achelous River, 10 km west of the city of Agrinio and at a distance of 35 km. from Messolonghi. The municipal district of Kalivia has a total area of 33,651 acres of lowland. Coordinates: 38°36’59″N 21°17’47″E
The village got its name from the word kalivi-va, which according to the New Hermeneutic spelling dictionary D. Dimitrakou etymology as “humble, single hutch of one room without wooden floor, housed made by grass and composites, tree arms or ceramics, something very simple in construction. “The dictionary of the Municipal Association of Greek versions give the word hut (the hut) as the importance of the following: ‘peasant house, single, with a room with no floor, covered with grass and twigs / / cottage shack. ” Older residents remember the phrase “let’s go to Kalivia”, so to eventually stay with the simpler name of the new village, when the time came to naming it. We also note that the farmers, that lived in thatched huts, used to be called Kaliviotes.